Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Can I get my child support increased?

The state of Florida has established child support guidelines for the settlement of support issues between parents.  An Orlando attorney experienced in child support can help you determine if you are eligible for a change in the support amount you are currently receiving or paying.
There are certain events which may enable one of the parents to request a modification of the amount of child support being paid.  These events must constitute a substantial change in circumstances. The loss of a job without fault or a substantial change in income by either party is one circumstance which may enable a modification.  However, the difference between the existing monthly child support obligation and the amount provided for under the child support guidelines must be at least 15 percent or $50, whichever amount is greater, before the court may find that the guidelines provide a substantial change in circumstances.  Keep in mind that any change in circumstances should be long-term and/or continuing in nature. This would not include a one time bonus, judgment, or award.
A Substantial change in daycare or health insurance expenses for the children or a child graduating from high school or turning 18 would also be considered substantial changes in circumstances.  If you’d like help from an experienced Orlando divorce attorney to determine if you may qualify for a modification to child support, please call the Law Office of Wade P. Luther, P.A. at (407) 835-9900 or visit our website at


No comments:

Post a Comment